Recent Graduate - Data Engineer
-- This position is for prospective 2023 graduates and with start date September 2023--
OTA Insight is a commercial platform for the hospitality industry (our clients are AirBnb property owners, individual hotels and major chains like Hilton, Accor, etc.). These are exciting times at OTA Insight: we recently raised another round of funding ($80 million) and we have welcomed two new companies, Transparent and Kriya, to our organisation that will expand our product portfolio! To accomplish our ambitious plans we are growing our Engineering team and Data Engineering has a crucial role to play. So, are you ready to have a big impact in a fast-growing scale-up?
We are looking for a Data Engineer who is passionate about scalable data architectures, cloud technology, complex data transformations, and handling large data streams on the fly, and wants to see their work translated into real life applications that impact 100.000’s of hotels worldwide.
About the team & the role
The OTA Insight Data Engineering team in Ghent is the gatekeeper to our vast datasets. We are the go-to team for any new feature development that requires adaptations to the way we store, model and aggregate our data. The team works in close collaboration with our Product team, as well as a highly talented group of software engineers and data scientists to drive initiatives forward.
In this skilled team you’ll be trusted to:
Implement, maintain and improve streaming and batch data processing pipelines.
Set up and maintain infrastructure & tools to support our data processing pipelines.
Research and test data processing methodologies, tools and frameworks.
Actively contribute to the observability & testability of our data pipelines.
Be part of the product scrum-teams, to tackle data storage, modelling and transformation problems related to new feature developments.
Technologies you’ll work with:
Google Cloud Pub/Sub, BigTable, BigQuery, Dataflow, Kubernetes, Python
(feel free to ask us why these are the best fit for us)
Benefits of working at OTA Insight
The opportunity to shape the products that more than 75.000 users rely on world-wide
The chance to grow and evolve the data culture at a fast-growing scale-up
A flexible working environment where you can work from home or at one of our offices
Two annual Detox Days, on top of your personal holidays, when we take some time away from our computers with the entire company
Lunch, on us, every day you’re at the Ghent office
A choose-your-own transportation budget should you choose to come to the office
A highly competitive compensation package
We are not looking for existing knowledge, but rather for the right mindset and potential:
- Bachelor or Master degree in a software engineering field
- You set a high bar for yourself, and expect others to do the same. You’ll find we have an exceptionally talented team and are constantly looking for the best people to join
- You are passionate about what you do. What unites us is our passion to do great work that our users benefit from.
- You are creative, entrepreneurial and open for innovation. We strongly believe that everything can be improved. We expect you to think and learn about new technologies, and take initiative to try and suggest new things
- You are a critical thinker who understands that perfect is the enemy of the good. We don’t over-engineer, but we do whatever it takes to achieve our goals.
- You work well in a team, but don’t mind getting your hands dirty. You’ll quickly learn that we have a very open culture where everyone can be reached out to for help, ideas, feedback and much more. But everyone takes responsibility for their own work.
- Fluent in English
- Experience writing Python code
- Experience with any cloud platform
- Fluency in SQL
- Good software engineering practices, e.g. use of version control